The Pahara Institute is dedicated to identifying, strengthening, and sustaining diverse, exceptional leaders who are reimagining public education. Pahara’s programs are aimed at improving leadership in education at a crucial point in our country’s history when our goal of a more equitable democratic society as well as our changing economy demand dramatically more from our public schools. Today there is a growing community of education reform leaders and entrepreneurs who are spearheading innovative approaches to better serve all students, especially those in low-income communities.
Located in Napa, California, The Pahara Institute is a partially virtual organization with a small and dynamic team of 16. The Institute was launched in 2012, building upon its flagship program, the Pahara-Aspen Fellowship, which was originally created as the Aspen-NewSchools Fellowship in 2006. Today, Pahara’s programs include the Pahara-Aspen Education and NextGen Fellowships and regional and topical convenings serving our approximately 620-member alumni network.
The Pahara-Aspen Education Fellowship is a two-year cohort-based leadership program modeled after the renowned Henry Crown Fellowship at the Aspen Institute. It is focused on increasing both the strength and diversity of leadership for the educational excellence and equity movement by bringing together senior entrepreneurial leaders in education who have been nominated by recognized leaders within the field, and providing them with an opportunity to step back from their demanding daily work to reflect with peers on their collective and individual work as leaders and change agents.
The NextGen Fellowship is a 12-month leadership development program focused on supporting high potential, emerging senior leaders who bring a diversity of underrepresented perspectives and have the potential to strengthen and shape the future of the educational excellence and equity movement. By identifying individuals who can amplify underrepresented voices, and providing them with high-level leadership development and networking opportunities, this program encourages and supports those who will become senior leaders in the field and helps strengthen the educational equity and excellence movement by engaging more diverse perspectives.
This critical position will lead the construction and evolution of organization-wide data systems and management tools, the analysis and flow of data across teams, and the initial investigation of insights gleaned from these data. This role will also be responsible for developing and implementing data auditing processes, and designing research projects as needed to support Pahara’s understanding of its programs and the education ecosystem. While this role will report to the Vice President of Strategy and Operations, the Manager of Data and Analysis will collaborate closely with the Pahara management team — demonstrating creativity, strong planning skills, a solutions orientation, and the habits and practices of both anticipating and proactively communicating challenges and roadblocks.
The Manager of Data and Analysis will:
Collaborate with teams across the organization to understand data and knowledge needs and build/maintain an efficient and effective Salesforce system to meet those needs
- Develop a strategic and proactive approach to collecting, organizing, maintaining, and learning from data across programs and organizational functions
- Serve as primary Salesforce architect and administrator, ensuring data is captured efficiently and effectively for all Pahara teams and troubleshooting any issues that arise with Salesforce or connected systems
- Proactively address issues related to data security, privacy, confidentiality, and cleanliness
- Partner with Selection and Program teams to continuously improve existing approaches, and develop new approaches and architecture for the collection, accuracy and usability of candidate and participant data — including the integration of those data across non-Salesforce systems
- Serve as a data ambassador – make sure all users understand how to interact with the systems and what they can get from the data, and create specific and regular learning opportunities for the whole team
- Lead data auditing and cleanliness efforts across the organization, including designing and implementing protocols for regular data auditing and clean-up, training team members on protocols, and supervising data cleanliness efforts during high volume data entry and auditing timeframes
Design and shape tools that effectively incorporate data from Salesforce system, team insights, as well as external sources (FormAssembly, Survey systems, etc.) into team learning processes
- Promote efficiency and accuracy in data capture, tracking and reporting, and creating and maintaining user-friendly data workbooks and advising on their use
- Translate candidate and participant data across the organization through development of spreadsheets and other reporting tools
- Visualize data effectively, in multiple ways (tables, charts, graphs, etc), and across multiple platforms (Salesforce, spreadsheets, etc)
Deliver analyses, insights, and research that inform learning, decision-making, and reporting at Pahara
- Work closely with Manager of Strategic Initiatives and Learning to continuously assess priority needs for program learning, and develop systems that proactively address learning needs
- Provide cross-team support on data capture, analysis and reporting for annual step-backs, grant reports, and external uses
- Design dashboards and train users for key organization workstreams
- Design and implement research projects as needed to support segment targeting and organizational learning
Pahara is a strong fit for professionals who are resourceful, responsible, tenacious, independent, and self-confident, and who possess strong personal drive and motivation and demonstrate exemplary professional behavior and values.
Compelling candidates will show evidence of the following skills and experiences:
- a minimum of 5 years of professional work experience;
- a minimum of 2 years of experience as a Salesforce administrator, with administrator certification;
- demonstrated proficiency in data analysis and identification of insights;
- exceptional organizational skills and acute attention to detail;
- ability to work independently and virtually in a fast-paced environment;
- strong written and verbal communication skills;
- strong research skills;
- experience handling confidential information, and a deep understanding of the issues around candidate confidentiality;
- an enthusiastic, yet pragmatic, approach to using data and technology to improve team performance;
- a track record of interacting at all levels and across teams within an organization, on various projects with multiple participants;
- proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google applications, with ability to type at least 40 WPM; and
- preferably, a Bachelor’s degree.
In addition, ideal candidates will have:
- commitment to the mission of accelerating the achievement of low income students; and
- familiarity with the challenges facing urban schools and education reform efforts in the U.S.
Finally, the successful candidate will bring the following personal values and characteristics:
- ability to build and maintain relationships, particularly in times of rapid change;
- maturity, humility, and a roll-up-your-sleeves attitude;
- high level of integrity, trust and accountability as well as sound discernment and judgment;
- commitment to diversity of all types at every level of our work;
- ability to learn quickly, be flexible and take an optimistic, fun approach to work; and
- orientation toward excellence and results in all work products and interactions.
The Manager of Data and Analysis will work with multiple teams within the organization, and will report to the Vice President of Strategy and Operations.
Pahara provides competitive compensation and an attractive benefits package including full healthcare coverage, and access to 401(k) accounts with a matching contribution policy.
We are a nimble and partially virtual organization by design, so that our professionals can work where they have built their lives. However, given the importance of close collaboration and strong relationships with our core team in the Bay Area, a Bay Area location is preferred. The Manager of Data and Analysis should plan to work from our Napa, California office at least one day per week, as well as be available in person for meetings in Napa as needed.
Pahara is committed to nondiscrimination and to providing equal opportunity. It is our policy to ensure that all individuals with whom we are in contact are treated equally without regard to age, color, disability, gender, marital status, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, expression, gender identity, or veteran’s status.
The review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Applications should consist of a letter of interest and a current resume, and should be directed to:
via: Pahara Hiring Team